The Art and Science of Cooking Camps
OPTION AST 15 Make It and Bake It Art and Science Combination (Ages 4-5)
We will learn about the science of cooking as we mix, measure, make and bake. Great experience for little hands! For lots more detail, read the Parent Letter!
Your child will be excited to get to eat the food they make each day!
- The fun doesn't stop there! They will get to learn the Science behind their cooking as they look at the yeast under a microscope, learn why fruits turn brown, and explore the fizzling properties of baking soda and vinegar!
- We will make yeast rolls, Ice Cream, Sun Tea, our own vinegar, cookies and more.
- The creative craft activities will include making objects that can be worn or displayed out of many different materials. Activities include clay fruit sculptures, color wheel cookies, painting a pot and planting seeds.
- We will also do vegetable print making,make pictures from beans and seeds, draw fruits and vegetables, and make a wacky vegetable and fruit sculptures and more.
Option AST 16 Make It ,Bake It and Create It: Art and Science Combination (Ages 6-8)
We will learn about the art and science of cooking as we mix, measure, make and bake. For lots more detail, read the Parent Letter!
Your child will be excited to get to eat the food they make each day!
- Science: The fun doesn't stop there! They will get to learn the Science behind their cooking as they look at the yeast under a microscope, learn why fruits turn brown, and explore the fizzling properties of baking soda and vinegar! We will make yeast rolls, Ice Cream, Sun Tea, our own vinegar, cookies, and more.
- Arts and Crafts:
- The creative craft activities will include making objects that can be worn or displayed out of many different materials. Activities include clay sculptures of fruit in a bowl, stained glass pictures, candle holders and lots more.
- Art will also involve vegetable print making, pictures from beans and seeds, drawing fruits and vegetables, and making a wacky fruit and vegetable sculptures and more.
- Note: Please see option AST 15 for the 4 and 5 year old version of this camp.
Science, Art and Technology Combinations
Option AST 17 What’s It All About?: Art, Science and Technology (Ages 5-7)
- We will study the wonders of water and what happens when it freezes. gets mixed with other liquids and solids, and find out why some things float or sink and more!
- We will make our own boats, bubbles, glue, and other messy concoctions
- We will have a blast with surface tension and the apparent "cool magic" of it.
- We will study the animals that live in the water and some of their funny adaptations.
- Art The art will include water color pictures, under water pop art pictures, bubble pictures, fish art, and marbling techniques.
- Technology What? You want more? Well, how about building the coolest machines to help us along they way? Students will continue to learn about water while building the animals that live in it. Utilizing LEGO Technics your child will build frogs that hop and make sounds, Manta Rays that wing through the water using cams and axles and sea horses and Angel fish using gears and much more!
Option Option AST 19 The Creators (Ages 8-12) Art, Science and Technology
- Art: The art will focus on drawing and painting technics for older students. Please see our art page for more information.
- Technology: The LEGO Technology will support the science that is being taught. A few of the machines they will build are:
- To incorporate sudden impact they will build a Cable Car with parachuting man,
- To learn about centrifugal force they will build a Motorized Merry Go Round,
- To incorporate lights, they will build stop lights and Morse code machines
- Science: In this class we will learn about cause and effect in our world. We will focus on physics as we ask the following questions.
- Investigate Physics with our Balls and Tracks and Colliding Balls!
- What is the Impact of dropping a water balloon (our brain child) from a great height and what can we do to keep it from breaking? How can we apply that to a helmet design? How can we reduce the force of impact?
- What is the Impact of a vacuum on a liquid and a solid?
- Design a "Ping Pong Ball Launcher".
- What is the Impact of Rotational Velocity on a sphere? Can that give us the spin we need on a ball?
- What is the Impact of centrifugal force and how does that keep us in our seats on amusement park rides?
- What is the result of a sudden Impact on a physical object such as ball? How can this help us in sports?
- What is the impact of Inertia and Friction on the table cloth and china trick?
This is a great camp for students with inquiring minds who want to know the reason why. Each question will have a series of cool and exciting experiment and activities to help them answer these questions. They will also be encouraged to take it to another step and develop their own questions and experiments to prove or disprove their theories.
Please note this is the similar to the Creators camp from Summer 2012 and some experiments overlap our older after school program for this year. We are offering it again due to its popularity but please choose another program if your child has done this before.
Video of The Creators
Creative Adventure Camps
Option AST 18 Imagination Station: Art, Science and Creative Dramatics all in on place! (Ages 5-7)
- Your child will love the creativity of this camp! They will be active participants in creative story telling where they will get to mime parts of the story.
- The children will create puppets of people and animals and create an environment background for their stage where they will put on a puppet show for parents.
- The science will be a fun combination of activities that relate to the stories and puppet shows. It will include weather, habitats, bugs, owls, predator and prey and lots more!
- They will not be able to stop talking about all the fun they are having! We call it learning, they call it FUN!
Option AST 20 Ladies in Lab Coats: Art, Science and Programming (Ages 8-11)
Exciting new camp for girls only! Get together with your best friends and have a great week of fun, creativity and learning. They will be excited to show you what they created each day. You will be amazed!
Art and Design: This camp will be a fun and exciting introduction to Sewing, Art and Design. It takes skill and imagination to create your own fashion, design and Art. We’ll begin with the basics such as learning to thread a needle, sewing a button, making cloth flowers, weaving a work of art and creating sock monsters. Just to name a few of our fun activities. We will also create objects to decorate your room! Students will learn how color, form and texture is used to create a successful project.
Science: We will focus on environmental science as we make a bio dome to take home. Learn about erosion and how to stop it, use soil and leaf chromatography to solve a crime, learn the effects of acid rain, learn how pollution can find its way into the food chain and our food, make our own thermometer, clean up and oil spill with slush powder, make a cloud in a bottle, make a battery out of lemons, make recycled paper and use it for a card, make a solar water distiller and more.
Programming: We will continue with our creativity as we introduce programming with Scratch programming. In this class we will focus on creating our own music and art on the computer!
For parents of girls from the owner of Imagine That!. I am a girl (ok, all grown up now) but as a child I was no priss. I loved anything to do with science, exploration AND art. I studied Engineering at a school where women are still a minority in many technical fields. We want to encourage girls to have fun with science and technology starting now and leading up to a time where they can be leading scientist in the world. We make this fun and funny and girls LOVE IT. I would like to be part of a society where we continue to encourage our daughters to LOVE science. Women make great scientist and can change the world!