Science, Technology, and Robotics Combinations
These are described below.
TechnoScience: The next 3 camps incorporate a combination of LEGO Education Technology and hands-on Science.
Option STR 3-Techno-Science Fun! Ages 5-7
What a great Combination! We will combine the fun of Mystery Science with LEGO® Education's WeDo Robots, Simple Machines and Programming with Scratch! Please view our parent letter here!
Our Mystery Science will be experiments with lots of WOW factors built in. But don't worry, they will still be learning the principles behind the amazing things they see and do.
- Children will build it, break it, shape it and make it in this exciting hands-on engineering exploration as they make vortex cannons to blast towers from across the room, potato launchers (need I say more), submarines that glow and lots more. Learning about Newton could not be more fun!
- If you think this sounds like fun, we will add in palm pipes, singing tubes, thunder tubes, and cups that talk! We will not only learn how sound is generated, we will also learn how we hear sound!
- We will electrify their imaginations as we create our own magnets, build batteries in ice cube trays, circuits, electromagnets and more. Wait until you hear about our buzzing and lighting human circuit machine!
- The children will glow with excitement as we study fluorescence and bioluminescence. Watch fluorescent eggs grow 100 times their normal size!
- Their eyes will go wide as they see our amazing dry ice experiments and our hydrophobic sand that will not get wet in water!
In addition to all of this, the students will use LEGO® Technology and Robotics and Scratch programming with the following:
- Students will get excited about robotics and programming with LEGO® Education WeDo™ Robotics. Students will learn how to build and program a working robotic model such as the “Magic Carpet” using pulleys and cams.
- Building the “Magic Wand” your child will learn to program the Tilt Sensor and the “Ninja Star” will use gears for super speed as the stars spin away!
- Children will get excited about building as they explore simple and motorized machines. Your student will learn cooperation as they work in teams of two learning the scientific concepts of Levers as they build a hungry Alligator and a weight sensitive Balance!
- This program will improve your child’s problem solving skills while encouraging teamwork, but they will just think they are having FUN!
- You will be amazed at what the children create as they expand their programming skills with MIT created Scratch programming to create their own video!
This camp is an exciting combination of Science and Technology. This camp is for children who love to design and build with their hands. Great for our engineers of the future! Click here to see the Parent Letter.
In ELECTRICAL SCIENCE we will:
- Learn about electrical circuits, bread boards and circuit boards
- See the inside working of a motor and learn the relationship between Electricity and Magnetism
- Create and take home a model of an electric house where they create their own switches, wiring, series and parallel light circuits for a 4 room model home.
- Make, modify and take home an electric car that responds to its environment.
- Interact with many different robots and understand what "makes something a Robot".
TECHNOLOGY will incorporate two programs:
- LEGO® Education Pneumatics: The students will build machines that are operated by a Pneumatic system. As your child builds a “Robot Arm” or a “Vertical Press”, they will explore power systems and components, sequence and control, pressure, prototyping, kinetic and potential energy and much more!
- LEGO® Powered Science & Technology Program: In keeping with our science activities the students will build different motorized and non-motorized models. The “Dragster” and the “Power Car” can be modified by the student teams to perform a task in the most optimal method, or the “Walker”, which operates by combining the use of pulleys and gears! Introducing gears and pulleys, structural design, forces and motion, energy and more will help all students understand how robots move.
- The students will love the tin can robot that they will build and take home.
Option STR 5 Goo, Gas, Great Balls of Fire!: Science and Technology focusing on Chemistry, Physics and LEGO Technology (Ages 7-10)
This camp is an incredible combination of Science and Technology where we will use the LEGO Crazy Contraptions and Technics, along with exciting science experiments! This is a great hands-on fun camp. What more could you want in one camp!
Science Portion: Make lots of cool Chemical and Physical reactions!
- Make Explosive reactions that blast many feet high.
- Make our own soft drink as we learn about constants, variables and ratios. We will then decide if its Truth or Legend that a soft drink can rot your teeth!
- Explore dry ice, make GAC, Slime and so much more!
- Investigate endothermic and exothermic reactions with salts that get hot and cold.
- Perform color changing acid base reactions and flame test!
- Learn about florescence and black lights!
LEGO® Technology: In addition to all of this the students will have a great time building using LEGO® Technology with the following:
- Crazy Contraptions: These are just plain fun and are the teachers and students favorites. We will build a “Battle Top Spinner” and a “Tennessee Time Killer”!
- Technic's: These activities really get down to the bones of how things work. The motorized “Elevator” utilizes a pulley and gear box to move supplies up and down, while the “Universal Joint” will use axles and can be modified to add motors should the children be up to the challenge!
This exciting program takes our future astronauts to a whole new level.
Students will begin to understand the principals of flight and rocketry while designing and building rockets. Students will learn to play Kerbal Space Program, which uses real physics and math skills to build and launch rockets that can survive the forces exerted onto the spacecraft exiting our atmosphere. Can they land their rocket and fulfill their mission?
- Your child will be very excited as they get to make and use bottle rockets, chemical rockets and Estes rockets.
- As we construct and test our rockets, the students will incorporate design changes to maximize successful flight goals.
- Students will gain a great understanding of rocket propulsion and control using the Kerbal Space Program.
Our STEAM (STEM plus Art) Science, Art, Sewing, Technology, Minecraft, MINDSTORM, 3D Printing, CAD Design, Programming and Robotics summer camps are in many locations throughout Atlanta, GA. Come join us for the best Georgia summer camps in Dunwoody, Buckhead, Alpharetta, Acworth, Duluth, Kennesaw, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Marietta, Midtown, Johns Creek, Decatur, East Cobb, Peachtree Corners, Milton, Cherokee County and many more locations. Our day camps range from 4 to 8 hours with optional early and late care.